... a [great company] by any other name would smell as sweet... Well, no actually. And we all know what happened to Romeo and Juliet.
Several things to bear in mind when choosing a company name:
- are you happy marketing the name to clients and investors? Will it help sell your product or services?
- check the Trade Marks Registry for registered marks similar to your proposed name. Will you register your trade mark?
There are legal restrictions on certain names. The name cannot:
- have the same name as another company,
- contain certain restricted or sensitive words or may require approval (such as the use of 'English');
- imply a connection with a public authority;
- or be offensive or potentially constitute a criminal offence.
It’s the first thing people will ask you when you’re starting out; it’s the word(s) people will put into search engines; and it’s the word(s) you’ll have to sell to investors. So, no pressure then. It’s entirely up to you