So many claims could be avoided, or certainly have a reduced risk attached to them, by taking some very simple and basic steps.
My top 5 tips to employer clients are:
1. Have an up-to-date disciplinary policy in place which is followed.
2. To ensure an accurate note is taken of any meeting and to get this agreed and signed by all attendees as soon after the meeting as is reasonably possible (and never make any decisions until this is done).
3. To conduct a fair investigation and this should be as thorough as possible.
4. Employees should always get to see and comment on any evidence which is going to be used to support any finding against them before any decisions are reached.
5. Do not be afraid to change any disciplinary outcome at appeal stage if evidence suggests this should be done.
Gavin Williamson has claimed that he is the victim of a “kangaroo court” after being dramatically sacked by Theresa May over the leak from the National Security Council of Huawei’s involvement in the UK’s 5G network